BlogBlond

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Bittersweet Reunion With An Old Friend- The F Word

a few days ago, while out on a target run with my buddiest girlfriend, i decided to visit an old friend i haven't had contact with in quite a while. there was no particular reason, no pang of nostalgia, no flash of inspiration. i just felt like the time might be right to shake things up a bit. so, on the way to the parking lot, i reunited with the f word.

now, let me back up and provide you with some background here. the f word and i used to be close. at times in my life, we were virtually inseparable. the f word was there when i needed it, never judging, never scolding- just there to be picked up and tossed around any time i felt like i needed it. f and i go way, way back. i remember an early flirtation with f, back when i was about 10 years old, writing a hate letter to my mother (yeah, don't start...). i tentatively wrote it in, and liked it so much that i darkened it up, and underlined it, and then used it repeatedly throughout the letter. being appropriately hippy-wannabe and new-agey before its time, my mother didn't nip this "free expression" (my constitutional right!) in the bud. (yeah, i know...) from there , my love for f (the word, not the deed. hi, dimmy) just grew and grew. as a teenager f and i were closer than any two beings should be. f was in my heart and in my mind, and frequently in my notebooks and conversations. i was f-ed.

so, it was with some sadness and some measure of relief that i realized that f and i are no longer a good fit. the word sounded wrong coming out of my mouth. although my friend, a connoisseur of the f word in her own right, did not look horrified, or even laugh out loud (she probably wanted to...), the awkwardness that followed my ungracious f-bomb was tangible and complete.

this friend has taken to using the letters WTF, as in: what the f---? instead of using the actual word. i kinda like it, especially in writing. it's a little smoother sounding than the f word, which is apparently out of my current demographic purview. in a way. i guess it's nice that f and i have parted ways. maybe it's a sign that i've become more refined. maybe it shows that i am older, wiser, and have a better vocabulary. maybe i am just one classy blond.

or maybe i am like that 67 year old woman who tries to wear a mini skirt and stripper shoes and everyone is, like, barfing behind her back- past my prime and played out.

i'm gonna go eat some chocolate.

wtf???

4 Comments:

  • At Wednesday, February 08, 2006 4:14:00 PM, Blogger Sara said…

    I'm like that, too. While there are times when swearing like a sailor sounds like a promising form of therapy, I just can't get it out right. I'm not sure why that is.
    Great post...and I'm thrilled that you appreciated the earlier exclaimation points.
    Keep me laughing.

     
  • At Wednesday, February 08, 2006 6:27:00 PM, Blogger Josh said…

    ...And clever too. You never seize to amaze me. This was quite a fun- and inquisitive- piece. I'm not even going to try and ruin your lunch with any disturbing comments. I've never been into any four little words (not that I've never used them, but we were never close), but I just think that unless you are pulling off the "gangsta" look, it just comes off as awkward. And I don't know why anyone would try and pull off the gangsta look.

    my love for f (the word, not the deed. hi, dimmy)

    Dimmy - Ha, ha! You don't remind BB of her love for the deed.

    [sticks tongue out, and now ready to watch the ensuing storm]

     
  • At Thursday, February 09, 2006 5:37:00 AM, Blogger BlogBlond said…

    it's all about your exclamation points, ,sara!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

    josh- i am soooooooooo gangsta... (yeah, like in a completely suburban housewife kinda way...)

    dimmy- i'll let you save yourself on this one...

     
  • At Thursday, February 09, 2006 1:25:00 PM, Blogger Dimmy said…

    WTF?! No, I am not saying anything. There. Consider me saved.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home